Monday, March 5, 2007

Your Sunday Best

Your Sunday Best
Guest Blog By
Brother Ritechus N. Dignation
(sure to ignite & inspire .....)

I’m fired up again. I mean I’m really stirred up. I just came from church, but from the way folks were dressed, you would have thought we were at the county fair. Last week, I attended a funeral and the dearly departed was dressed better than the bereaved. I’ve seen folks dress better for a hog call’in.

It used to be that people took pride in themselves and dressed up for church, weddings, funerals and other special occasions. Now anything goes and nobody bats an eye at the sorry and ungodly way folks cover their hide (or don’t cover, in some cases).

Now I know the old argument “What’s on the inside is more important than what’s on the outside”, is technically true, but the label on a can also tells you what’s inside. My wife used to buy those unlabeled, dented cans for a quarter at the grocery store, but I got tired of eat’in cat food casserole. What’s on the outside is pretty important in my book.

My wife and daughter went to a bridal shower where the bride and other guests wore tacky jeans and shorts. They were out of place in their nice skirts and dress shoes. People tell me to loosen up cause times have changed. Dadgum right and that’s the problem. A sense of propriety, pride and decency have been lost in this generation and no one seems to care or notice but old fogeys like me. We’ve come a long way, baby, but we’re going in the wrong direction.

Nakedness in public is the norm, and not just from the younger folks. I see older people who know better, showing way too much skin, from top to bottom. Mothers and Grandmothers ought to be ashamed for leading young girls astray. The Bible says the older women are to teach the younger and brother they’ve done exactly that, but they have put the emphasis on modern apparel and not modest apparel.

And preacher, dress up. Comb your hair, tuck in your shirt and put on a tie. It ain’t gonna kill you to look professional. After all, you can’t out dress your calling.

Brother Ritechus N. Dignation.
Joseph Harris

No comments: