Thursday, March 15, 2007

Salvation-Saved From What?

Saved From What?
By
Dr. Harold Sightler (1914–1995)

“And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.”—Matt. 1:21.

In the first chapter of Matthew, we have the clearest declaration concerning the manner of the birth of Jesus found in the Bible. The inspired record sets forth in no uncertain terms the virgin birth, and this truth is repeated several times. Joseph had to be convinced, for his first impression was that Mary had committed fornication. He was “minded” to put her away privately, not being willing to make a public example of her. This is what Joseph was proceeding to do when he was arrested by the angel of the Lord with this statement concerning the true facts of what had happened.

After the angel had instructed Joseph as to the manner of Mary’s conception, he then announced the great purpose of this miracle. In our text, the angel sums up the entire purpose of the coming of Jesus into the world: “Thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.” This is one of the great statements of the Bible. It is a truth that has been proven over and over again. Its wonderful message is the sweetest ever heard by mortal ear. The power of this truth has transformed the lives of multitudes.

The great motivating power that sends us out to preach is the message that Jesus saves. This is the same motivating power which fills the ranks of missionaries. No sacrifice is too great and no price is too high for this message. It drives us on with new hope upon each opportunity to witness or preach. We have experienced its life-transforming power, and we have seen it work in the lives of others.

I. Things From Which None Are Saved

Though Jesus saves—blessed truth—notice three things from which none of us are saved today.

1. None Saved From Suffering

First, I am saved, but I am not saved from suffering. Go to the hospitals today, and you will find as many Christians there as lost people. Go to the rest homes, and you will find as many feeble and weak Christians as non-Christians. Yes, sometime or other every last one of us will suffer. We may be well today, but some tomorrow will bring us to the hospital in pain and agony. This life is marked by suffering. Sin is producing its fruit. Ours is a fallen race, and a mark of this Fall is suffering.
Well do I know that Jesus has power to heal our bodies. He is the Great Physician. No disease is too great for this Healer. Every time we recover from an illness, it is because He is the Healer. We ought to pray for the healing of our bodies and for the healing of our loved ones. Yet, there will come a time when it is not God’s will to heal. When the day comes we shall die. All suffer in this life. We enter the world with a cry, and we leave the world with the same. The journey is marked by times of suffering and sickness.
May I rejoice with you over the day when there will be no more pain. The time will come when all will receive a new body. This body is to be fashioned like unto the glorious body of our Lord. Then there will be no more suffering and sickness. In I John 3:2, we read, “Beloved…it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.” When that day comes, there will be no more pain, suffering or sickness.

2. None Saved From Sorrow

Second, I am not saved from sorrow. Tears are the portion and lot of us all here upon this earth. For many years, I could say that I had never had a broken heart. I had never sorrowed. All in my family were well and strong. I had never lost a loved one by death. I had never trod the valley of sorrow. I had never shed bitter tears. However, never again can I say this. In 1951, I was plunged into a valley of tears and sorrow unparalleled in all my past. My family circle was forever broken in the tragic passing of my child. She was killed in an automobile accident. My wife was very seriously injured. For five months she lingered near death. She will carry the marks of this accident to her grave. My heart was broken. Tears came freely then, and often since. I was saved then as much as ever, but I was not saved from sorrow.
Sometime in the lives of us all sorrow will come. This sorrow will make us long for the day when Jesus will wipe away all tears from our eyes. He has given to us this promise: “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy cometh in the morning” (Ps. 30:5). The time will come when no saved person will ever weep, when our hearts will never bleed again.

3. None Saved From Shame

Third, I am not saved from shame. All will agree that there is a shame in the old rugged cross. The world has never been friendly to grace. They that live godly will suffer persecution. This world does not understand the saved. The saved can never become adjusted to this age. The Bible warns that this world will be “despisers of those that are good” (II Tim. 3:3).
One needs only to take his Bible in hand and walk down a busy street to see the eyes of others lifted in scorn.
There is shame in the Book. There is shame in a testimony. There is shame in a witness. They that stand for God understand this shame and gladly bear it.
Some golden daybreak those who now suffer shame will be placed on exhibition in Glory. The angels and all the heavenly creatures will be permitted to look upon the token of God’s grace. The redeemed of all ages will be gathered together onto this place of exhibition. No shame then; only glory by and by.

II. Things From Which We Are Saved

I have noticed three things from which we are not saved; now I want us to notice three things from which Jesus does save us.

1. I Am Saved From Sin

The text says, “He shall save his people from their sins.” Someone has accused us of believing in a “sinning religion.” Though we do not claim sinless perfection, we do rejoice that, by His grace, we have been saved from sin—saved from the power of sin. Grace has broken the power of sin. “Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound” (Rom. 5:20). Jesus gives His people power to say no to the Devil and sin. He liberates from the bondage and pits of sin. He lifts us out.
We are also saved from the penalty of sin. The Bible says, “The soul that sinneth, it shall die,” and, “…the wages of sin is death.” It is true that the penalty of sin is death, but to us who are saved, this penalty is paid by our Lord Jesus Christ. In Romans 8:1 we read, “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus.” We are passed from condemnation to eternal life.
Then one day we will be saved from the presence of sin. The redeemed are to be lifted from the earth and from its sin. The day will come when we will be taken to a place where there is no sin. Jesus promises that “there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination” (Rev. 21:27). Neither the Devil nor his demons will be able to enter into that City. It is prepared for the redeemed.

2. I Am Saved From Self

I am not my own; I am bought with a price. After Jesus saved me, He demanded my body, soul and spirit. All I am and all I have are His; I must be about His business. I must go where He wills that I go and say that which He wills me to say. To use the words of Paul, I am a bond servant of Jesus—we are His slaves. All saved people are able to give this same testimony.
Sometimes unsaved people are heard to say that they will do as they please. God’s people must not say this. We gladly pledge our allegiance to Jesus. We gladly do as He pleases. Herein lies the reason men and women will give their lives on the mission field. Here is the answer to the great sacrifice some people make in order to serve Jesus: we are saved from self.

3. I Am Saved From Satan

This makes the Devil mad. He does not want me to proclaim deliverance from his power. Blessed be the day when Jesus saved me from Satan. I am free indeed. The Devil cannot do more than nag me. He cannot put his dirty hands upon me except in God’s will. He cannot get to me except God permit him to do so. The Bible describes Satan as a roaring lion going up and down in the earth seeking whom he may devour. I rejoice that there are some whom he cannot devour—the redeemed. To the saved he is more a roar than anything else.
Claim the deliverance and rejoice in it. The Devil can do no more than try to hinder you from so doing. Claim freedom by faith. When Jesus saved you, He saved you from Satan.

Many times the Devil has threatened my life. In nearly audible impressions he tells us that he will take our lives. But he is a liar; my life is in Jesus, and the Devil can do nothing about it.

1 comment:

Rick jackson said...

Good message brother!